We all have that one place we can always go where we can feel at peace and relaxed.
I think for a lot of people, that probably happens in the peace and comfort of your own bed. Snuggled up in the covers on a cool morning, with no place you need to be is nice. For me though, its always been the beach. I feel like no matter what is going on, a few hours on a beach can help me find realignment and clarity.
My soul always feels nourished after such an excursion. However, even though I live in SoCal and it is chalk full of beaches, bumming on the sand all day every day just isn’t practical.
Here are a few other things to try if you feel like your soul could use a mid-week refresher.
- Power down– I know this is harder for some of us more than others, but there’s really nothing better for your mind, body, and soul than powering off all your devices and just relaxing solo. Sit on your patio and watch the sunset or listen to the cars going by. Just be. Allow yourself some solitude with your own thoughts.
- Clean- It is strangely therapeutic to clean out your closet or scrub down the bathroom. Take out clothes from your dresser that you no longer wear and donate them. Sort your pantry contents by size and shape. Something as simple as rearranging a drawer can often help reach clarity on bigger things in your life that may need rearranging.
- Read- Curl up on the couch with a good book, magazine, or whatever else you can find. Reading is such a great way to help your mind relax and give your soul a much needed refresh.
- Take a walk outside- There’s nothing quite like convening with nature, is there? Taking in some fresh air and really allowing the sites, sounds, and smells of nature to reinvigorate you is a great re-boost when you’re feeling a lull.
- Catch up with an old friend- Life gets busy and we stop calling and meeting up with some people as often as we should or we would like. Do something about that. Sneak away for 15 minutes and call to chat with someone you’re missing. Or grab a coffee with them. It can do your soul (and theirs!) some good to spend some time with a kind, familiar face.
Keep in mind that the point in this list is not to add stress to your life. Any item of this list should be able to be completed in under 15 minutes, and can do a world of good for you. Life and responsibilities can really feel like they are piling on sometimes. Remember to take care of yourself- outside and inside.